Why Self-Ligating Braces are a Great Choice:
The tieless brackets for these braces feature a slide mechanism, which allows arch wires to slide back and forth with ease. This reduces the friction, tightness and discomfort that you would feel with traditional braces.
Not only are these passive self-ligating braces more comfortable, but they also reduce the time required for correcting alignment or bite issues. You will need to make fewer visits for orthodontic adjustments.
If that’s not enough, there’s also the oral hygiene factor to consider. Since there are no elastic or metal bands around your teeth, there are fewer areas where plaque can collect. You can clean your teeth more easily.
Benefits of Self-Ligating Braces:
- By combining the aesthetic appeal of traditional clear aligners with the efficiency and comfort of self-ligating braces, these innovative orthodontic appliances provide incredible results in a shorter period.
- These braces feature clear tieless brackets and high-technology arch wires for quick and discreet treatment. Unlike traditional braces, they don’t need frequent tightening, which reduces the friction on your teeth, gums and mouth.
- They are also resistant to stains and discolorations, remaining practically invisible during your entire treatment. If you’re looking for an effective, convenient and fuss-free solution for orthodontic problems, this is it!
Self-ligating braces are of 2 types:
- Active Brackets These braces make use of thicker wire to apply more pressure to your teeth. This pressure moves your teeth quicker and more efficiently.
- Passive Brackets These braces are usually used at the beginning of the treatment to allow your teeth to get used to braces. They make use of small archwire that allows your teeth to move freely with less friction.
Some of the benefits of self-ligating braces are as follows:
- Quicker and Efficient Office Visits Once you are in the clinic, the orthodontist just needs to open and close the door on the braces. Visits are quicker and more efficient.
- Less Discomfort Self-ligating braces do not use the ligating elastic bands, because of which, the wire in the bracket minimizes the friction and the force required to move teeth.This reduces the discomfort patients might experience. Although there is less soreness in the mouth, it doesn’t entirely remove it.Since self-ligating braces are thinner than traditional brackets, they take up less space in your mouth.As there are no ligatures holding the brackets, there is no fear that the ties will snap or poke inside your mouth.With traditional braces, the ties may become loose between your orthodontic appointments. This may reduce the pressure they put on your teeth. The pressure is restored when you visit your orthodontist for braces adjustment.However, self-ligating braces exert the same amount of pressure throughout the treatment and there are no fluctuations in between orthodontic appointments.
- Reduced Length of Treatment Self-ligating braces are known to shorten the time taken to straighten the teeth. The total length of treatment may be reduced by 4 to 6 months. This means that you will take significantly less time to achieve a beautiful healthy smile than your first thought.
- No Food Trapped in the Brackets The latex material used on elastics and rubber bands in traditional braces trap food, providing a fertile environment for the plaque to build up.Self-ligating braces eliminate the need for elastics, so there are fewer chances of food getting trapped. And that means better oral hygiene and less scope for bacteria to thrive.
- Draws Less Attention Self-ligating braces come in both metal and clear brackets. So, if you want to make your self-ligating braces less obvious, you can take the less conspicuous route.
- Use archwires, brackets, and rubber bands to straighten and realign crooked teeth.
- Rubber bands trap food particles, and this can lead to plaque build-up and decay.
- Braces are loud and draw a lot of attention.
- More friction and pressure on the tooth.
- The treatment takes longer.
- Use specially designed clips to hold the archwires in place instead of rubber bands.
- It is easier to keep your teeth clean because there are no rubber bands.
- Braces are thinner, smaller and less noticeable.
- Less pressure and friction are placed on the tooth.
- Treatment is quicker.